The party goes global...

Free counters!

Saturday, September 1, 2012

An Age of Madness released today!

Yowza, that was quick -- but here it is September 1 already, and An Age of Madness is officially released today. It's available on Amazon and elsewhere, I am mightily grateful to nyone who chooses to pick up a copy and check it out.

A reminder: copies will be available for just $10 at both of my New York reading events (see below). Needless to say, I'll be happy to sign books there as well, or draw pictures, insert love notes, or whatever else you may desire to make the thing more eBay-worthy down the road...

For what it's worth, this book is my longest-running project ever; I started in 1998 or 99, and it has gone through more revisions and rewrites than I care to count. My first publisher, St Martin's, wasn't enamored of it (that was several rewrites ago) and for a while I despaired that this thing ould ever see the light of day. Happily, a couple of revisions later, Red Hen Press picked up the ball and ran with it. So many thanks to RHP, editor Kate Gale and all the rest of the crew who have made this experience so enjoyable.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Mr David Maine, (how do you prefer to be called?)
I just want to tell you that I'm really looking forward to reading your books. I'm planning on starting with Fallen. Before I do begin reading it, I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice on how to read the book. That is, what should I keep in mind as I read Fallen? What sort of things can you tell me to understand the characters? I want to be able to appreciate the book as much as possible, so any kind of preparation for it will be very much welcomed.

David Maine said...

Hi Francisco,

Call me Dave. And thanks for your interest in my books, you are very kind. Unfortunately, I have no advice on how to read them. The books must speak for themselves, without interpretation from me; if I need to advise you on what to look for or how to understand it, then I have failed as the writer of the story.

This is counter to some beliefs held by some literature professors out there, but it is true. Everything necessary to understand and interact with the story, must be contained within the story, or the story isn't finished.

All I can ask is that you read Fallen (or any other book) with some degree of active engagement--try to have a conversation with it, so to speak. Maybe you will get something out of it. (I hope so.)

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, but it is something that I feel very very strongly.

Best,

Dave Maine