The party goes global...

Free counters!

Monday, September 17, 2012

A writer's life

So, Friday's even at Book Thug Nation was an unfortunate episode in the long-running serial known as A Guy Named Dave Writes Books and Then Tries to Sell Them. There's really not much to say except, oh well, sometimes you throw a party and no one shows up. We've all ben there, right? And some of us (ahem) have been there three or four times.

Happily, Saturday was a marked improvement, with me able to spend some time with my good buddy Julia, who I've known since 1980 (oy) but had fallen out of touch with for 20-odd years. We picked up right where we left off, and I was struck all over again at the unique kind of blessing that it is to have, and rediscover, old friends.

Sunday I wandered around Brooklyn and the east Village, bemoaned the reduced state of the formerly-great Kim's Video, and checked in with some old friends:


And then, Sunday night came the big event at KGB Lit Bar. I read along with Kathleen Alcott, and a number of people were in attendance, including my brother Stephen, my buddy Julia, my agent Scott, my publisher Kate, and of course Lori over at TNBBC.


An audience of roughly 30 people were packed into KGB's tiny and dimly-lit space, and I have to say, the audience was great. People laughed at the right moments and cringed at the right moments, and a number of people chatted with me afterward. All in all it was a great time, so a big thanks to Suzanne, the person in charge of the fiction series, and Lori, who worked so hard to set everything up.

1 comment:

TNBBC Super Mod said...

Oh my god, I look CRAZED in that photo. So happy to have been able to hang with you. Sunday's KGB event was excellent. You did good, Maine :) Thanks for the experience. Enjoy the rest of your tour!