The party goes global...

Free counters!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mehdi Hassan RIP

Mehdi Hassan was one of Pakistan's greatest singers of ghazals, a form of poetry that goes back for centuries. He was a big favorite of my father-in-law, who knew him, and also of Uzee's. He passed on away on June 13.

This is my favorite song of his. "Rafta Rafta Woh Meri hast" means something like, "Slowly slowly she became a part of me" or "she became my reason to live." It's a beautiful song, even if your Urdu is a little rusty.



One translastion, as provided by the person (lolfrompak) who uploaded this YouTube link:

Rafta rafta woh meri hasti ka saamaan ho gaye,
Subtly and gradually, she became the reason for my existence

Pehlay jaan, phir jaan-e-jaan, phir jaan-e-jaana ho gaye
First my life, then the love of my life, finally she became the beloved of my life

Din-b-din badti gehin is husn ki raaniyaan.
Day by day, her beauties gracefulness increased

Pehlay Gul, phir gul-badan, phir gul-badamaan ho gaye
First she smelt like a rose, then she transformed into a rose, finally she became the greatest rose

Aap to nazdeek say nazdeek-tar aatay gahey
You kept coming closer and closer to me

Pehlay dil, phir dilruba, phir dil kay mehmaan ho gaye
First my heart, then my sweetheart, finally she took abode in my heart

Rafta rafta woh meri hasti ka saamaan ho gaye
Subtly and gradually, she became the reason for my existence

Pyar jab Hadd se badha saare Taqaloof mith gaye
When love transcended its limit, all formalities were erased

Aap se phir tum huay phir tu ka Khunwaan hogaye
First we were formal, then we became informal, finally we became one.

1 comment:

Cheena said...

Beautiful :) Thanks for the translation!