The party goes global...

Free counters!

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Vieux Farka Toure rules. But then you knew that already. Right?

Uzee and I saw Vieux Farka Toure play at the Iron Horse last night in Northampton. It was awesome, as in, it generated a feeling of awe within me. For several reasons: first, the guy can play like nobody's business. Second, his set was so fluid and effortless, he just rolled from one song into the next, creating this groove that never stopped even when he took a few minutes to chat between songs. Third, his backing musicians (bass, acoustic guitar, kalabash) were so tight within him it was like they were a single organism.

I wish I had a video from the show but I don't, so this will have to do. Here's Vieux playing "Ay Bakoy," a song from his new record Mon Pays, which he played last night:



If you ever get the chance to see him... take it.

No comments: