The party goes global...

Free counters!

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Congratulations to my buddy Julia...

...Who has just gotten married this week. I have yet to meet the guy, who's named John and is Canadian, but who is apparently the bee's knees, as they say. So I'm happy for them both, especially Julia, who's been through some shit and deserves contentment.

We go back quite a ways--to the summer of 1980 in fact. Here's a picture from 1982 or 83 (can't remember which, but I think it's '83), when we were both counselors at an "art camp" called the Center for Creative Youth at Wesleyan University in Connecticut. It was as students at this camp that Julia and I had met in 1980... Anyway in this picture she is laughing about the balloons obscuring her face and I'm being the college-aged geek that I was.


Yup, some blackmail material here. And the cropped close-up doesn't make things any better:


I spent much of life at that time trying to be cool but there's only so cool you can look when wearing a T-shirt that says "Ask Me," and to my credit I think I knew that even then. Good times, sort of.

Congratulations again, Julia. And you too John.

2 comments:

Julia Lee Barclay-Morton said...

This is why you should Never send dorky pictures to your old friends who have blogs...Dave, how could you???

OK, I'm over it.

Thanks for congrats! Once US immigration decides it's OK for a Canadian to come and live her with his wife (7-8 months approx), yes you will meet John...or maybe before when he's visiting...

Meantime, trade you summer in Berkshires for summer in NYC? No, didn't think so...

David Maine said...

Trust me, the dorkiness is MUCH worse for me than for you.