The party goes global...

Free counters!

Friday, November 9, 2007

Good times, bad times

A piece of good news: as of yesterday, most of the independent news channels were back on the air. Not Al-Jazeera English (the best of the bunch, in my view), but CNN and BBC and, most importantly, the local independents. So that's good. Whether they're under pressure to adopt this line or that, I don't know.

Some bad news: Benazir is under house arrest now, according to AP. I'm no fan of BB--she's an opportunist whose alliance with Mush at least helped him stay in power that much longer--but it's always a bad thing in my book to lock up your political opponents.


That's all for this update. Stay tuned.

In the meantime this plant on my balcony is starting to bloom after 8 years. Must be the political climate, ha ha. Here are some pictures. I have no idea what it is, other than some type of succulent, but its flowers are wonky and yellow. No smell alas. This is just another thing I love about living in Lahore--the plant life veers between tropical and just plain warped.

And yes, that's an enormous rubber tree in the background.

Don't forget to vote in the poll at the bottom of this page!

No comments: