The party goes global...

Free counters!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

My favorite place on Earth


The island of Maui is made of two ancient volcanies that rose up out of the sea and more or less melted into one another. The bigger of these volcanoes is Haleakala, which means "House of the sun." It is, without question, the most breathtaking place I've ever walked through. I thought this in 1995, when Uzee and I first hiked there, and I thought this again last month, when we revisted the place.

These pictures are laughable in their attempt to convey Haleakala's scale and sheer otherworldly weirdness. This is the only volcano crater I've ever been in, and the colors, the erosion and the size of it all--it's I think twelve miles down to the bottom--are just staggering.

When I die, I would like my ashes scattered here.

3 comments:

ScottK said...

Hey I live on Maui, Are you still here?? I just got your book "Fallen" and am about to read it with a friend on Goodreads.

David Maine said...

Hi Greggory!

Sorry this response is so tardy, I've been crazy busy with things like finishing a novel and trying my hand at screenwriting... To answer your question, no, we left Maui at the end of July and are now in Oahu (for the time being). Oahu's great, but, I do miss Maui.

And I really appreciate that you're reading Fallen. (Maybe you're done by now?) I was looking for bookshops on Maui and not finding many, and none at all that carried any of my books, so I got kind of discouraged. Thank God for Amazon, or the library. Anyway let me know what you think. I know of at least one person who claims to have read my books on the beach (in Mexico), which is a wacky thing for me to consider, as I was pretty darn far from the beach when I wrote them...

Cheers,

Dave

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice blog..
its amazing blog..
___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free