The party goes global...

Free counters!

Monday, February 18, 2008

Off to NYC

Tomorrow (Tuesday, February 19) I'll be trundling down to New York to do a couple of reading events:

FEBRUARY 19 (Tuesday), Barnes and Noble at 82nd and Broadway, THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

FEBRUARY 20 (Wednesday), Barnes and Noble in Greenwich Village, Ave of the Americas at 8th Street, 7:30pm. Same deal: Reading, q+a, signing. Come along and ask me something really confrontational and snotty. Make it fun!

Maybe I'll get a photo or two from these events to post next time, along with a funny story. Hey, it could happen...

Also in store:

FEBRUARY 23 (Saturday) brings me to Rhinebeck, NY, and Oblong Books on 6422 Montgomery Street (Route 9), also at 7:30pm for a similar event. For those of you who prefer your lit'rary events outside the big city.

MARCH 20 (Thursday), in South Hadley, MA, home of Mount Holyoke College, has a reading at Odyssey Books, 9 College Street. 7:30, same schedule.

That's all for now. Hope to see you on one of these evenings.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Hoping today went very well. How come this shift from Biblicals to monsters? Looking forward to reading it.

19 Feb 08

mahnoor said...

Ah, just my luck. You coming to South Hadley merely months after I leave that neck of the woods.

I'll get to one eventually I hope! =D

Also, is the old email address still working? I had something to show you.

David Maine said...

Mahnoor... Yes it's ironic. You're at Smith for however long and now here I am in Northampton. HAH. And yes, the old email still works. So show, show.

Rani: The 19th sort of didn't happen, but the 20th was great. Very small crowd, 8 or 10 people, but that just gave it an informal kind of feeling. We all just sort of sat around talking, which was nice. It wasn't like, me giving a speech and them sitting there listening. It was more of a conversation, which is the kind of thing I like.

As for the shift--well, after writing 3 books based on Biblical stories, I felt I had taken that kind f thing as far as it could go. The 3 books are very different from one another, which is something I wanted to do and something I feel glad that I accomplished, and I wanted to quit before I started repeating myself, structurally, thematically, and so on. As for the monsters, they've been in my life ever since I was a kid, I grew up on movies like The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms and King Kong and Planet of the Apes. So I guess sooner or later, that kind of material was bound to show up in my serious, more (ahem) mature works. Whether or not I was successful, hey, only you can decide...