The party goes global...

Free counters!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

This is a little late...


...but I just watched this movie over the weekend. Twice.

Anvil! The story of Anvil is, well--the story of Anvil. Anvil are a Canadian heavy metal band, not the best in the world but not the worst either (trust me). I saw them play in a tiny club in New York in I think 1983 or so; the closest thing they ever had to a hit was something called "Metal On Metal," which pretty much sums up the band. But they were fun. And then they disappeared.

Except, they didn't. For the past 30 years they've been working day jobs, scraping together the cash to make records, playing obscure clubs and then going back to work Monday morning. This documentary is astonishing--it's a tribute to people who enjoy very little fame or success in the arts but keep at it anyway out of love for what they do.

I'll admit: it got me pretty misty a few times. Those guys would be me in another life.

Even if you hate metal, throw this in your netflix queue and check it out.

No comments: